Code of Conduct
Botetourt County Libraries
Patron Code of Conduct
Library patrons are expected to behave themselves in an appropriate manner while using the library and its services. The following rules apply to all users of the library:
- Patrons are prohibited from improper conduct including but not limited to:
a) disorderly conduct
b) use of obscene or abusive language or acts
c) use of any intoxicants, narcotics or similar substances
d) mutilating or defacing any library property
e) use of library computers to view pornographic materials
f) refusal to vacate the building at regular closing time
- Patrons shall not interfere with the use of the library by other patrons, nor shall they interfere with library employees’ performance of their duties.
- Patrons shall respect the rights of other patrons and library employees and not harass or annoy others through noisy or boisterous activities or any other types of loud or disturbing behavior. Patrons shall not follow other patrons around the library with the intent to harass or harm that person.
- Patrons whose behavior is inappropriate will be asked to leave the library. If a patron refuses to leave, the Sheriff’s Office will be called. The Sheriff’s Office will be called if a patron’s behavior becomes threatening to the library, its staff or other patrons.
- All library materials are to be charged out in accordance with standard procedures prior to removal from the library. Patrons who attempt to improperly take items from the library will be reported to the Sheriff’s Office.
- All patrons must wear appropriate clothing including shirts and shoes.
- Use of sports equipment is not permitted, including skateboarding or roller-blading on any part of library buildings, sidewalks and parking lots.
- The library may ban a patron from using its facilities or services as deemed necessary by the Director or other supervisory personnel or the Library Board of Trustees. Anyone who is banned from the library shall be notified by certified mail or a hand delivered letter. A person banned from the library may be reinstated by the Library Board of Trustees. Application for reinstatement may be made by filing of a written petition with the Director stating the grounds therefor.
Adopted by Botetourt County Library Board of Trustees
February 8, 2016