Website Botetourt County
A Library Assistant connects people and ideas by providing welcoming, knowledgeable library services to the community. They enjoy varied activities, from public-facing engagement (customer service, instruction, promotion) to behind-the-scenes efficiency (processing, troubleshooting, producing). Whether in the library, at an outreach location or in a virtual setting, they greet everyone with a smile and proactively offer to assist, share information and collaborate with others in pursuit of library goals. They embrace learning, change, technology and innovation eagerly, and they are passionate about helping people navigate the world of ideas and information.
Job requirements include:
- Any combination of education, training and experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university, or ALA Library Support Staff Certification
- Two (2) years working in a customer service or teaching position
- Demonstrated superior customer service skills
- Able to learn new skills and concepts quickly and to resolve problems independently
- Intermediate technology skills, including learning, teaching and troubleshooting technology independently and on the fly
Examples of work performed include:
- Promotes with enthusiasm the library’s resources, services, events, social media channels, etc. to the community
- Provides prompt and accurate circulation services, including discharge, checkouts, patron registration, shelving, etc.
- Offers knowledgeable and current readers’ advisory, including suggestions for books, movies and music in all formats
- Helps patrons use computers, mobile devices, laptops and other technology to access library digital resources and other information sources
- Assists with, plans or presents outreach activities, classes and/or events for children, teens and/or adults in both in-person and virtual formats
- Provides basic research assistance and instructs patrons in basic information literacy skills, including finding and evaluating reliable, relevant and timely information
- Buchanan Library – approx. 18.5-hour position; schedule TBD but may include occasional or regular evenings/Saturdays
Botetourt County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit fs23.formsite.com.
Last modified: September 16, 2021